Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Journey Begins...


I have started my travel to China.  I am currently aboard a flight to Detroit.  According to the on flight computer we are at the Kentucky Tennessee line.  It is pretty much a straight shot north from Atlanta.  I am sitting next to a guy who is from Detroit and who has a sister who lives on Tybee Island.  I told him I was close by, but the islands of Glynn were far better!

Today marks ten months since I started work in Glynn County.  A lot has been accomplished in a short period of time. Through my years of local government service I have worked with several boards some of them have been good and others have been challenging.  The current Board in Glynn County is one of the best I have worked with.  Now I know what people may think about that, but my comment is sincere.  We also have a great group of department heads and elected officials who are committed to serving the citizens well and striving to find ways to improve services.  I will be sharing about the Glynn County team in China.  I am very proud of who I serve with and I believe the Chinese  government officials I share with will understand why after I tell them about us.  I hope to learn from them as well.  In the last two months I have read three books about China and I am on my fourth.  There is tremendous history that dates back thousands of years.  We can learn a lot from history and I hope to share the history of Glynn County while I learn more about the history of China.

It is an honor for me to participate with the University of Georgia team and to represent the Golden Isles.  Hopefully, I will have wifi in China and can share my experiences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment