Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Back to Life in the USA


Life is back to normal after returning from my trip to China.  My flights back to the States were long, but non-eventful and it was good to be home.  On my Journey home I flew from Xian, China to Seoul, Korea.  In Seoul I boarded a Delta flight to Detroit.  It took me a minute to realize that I did not need to speak through an interpreter and the people on the plane actually spoke my language.  They even had real coffee and lots of diet coke, so I knew it would be a good ride back home!

Monday, June 27th was my first day back on the job after being gone for over two weeks.  It was great to be back!  I found things exactly like I thought I would.  With the exception of the great swamp fire all “fires” had been put out before I returned.  Of course I expected nothing less.  I work with an outstanding group of people and the County is always in good hands!  I cannot say that I had any jet lag because during the day I felt great, but around 8:00 each evening I was very, very tired and had to go to bed.  This is unusual for me because I usually do not leave the office until 8:00 or later.  This past weekend, I felt fully rested and ready to resume my normal work schedule.

Traditionally, Glynn County sponsors a fireworks show on St. Simons Island on the Fourth of July at the Pier and this year was no exception.  Last year, before I was on the official payroll, I watched the display from the East Beach area.  This year I was up close right at the Pier.  It was a wonderful display that lasted for 30 minutes.  It was great to hear the oohs and aahs from the people around me.  I sensed that everyone truly appreciated the display and enjoyed their time that evening.  The weather could not have been better and the crowd was orderly.  I thought the Police Department did a great job directing traffic after the display and getting people off of the Island in a timely fashion.  It is great that so many come out each year to celebrate our freedom, which has come at a price.  I am very grateful for those men and women who serve us this day to continue to protect our freedom.

As a government worker I get to celebrate two new year’s each year.  One is on January 1st and the other is on July 1st when the county fiscal year begins.  During the spring of each year a lot of hours are spent on developing the budget for the next fiscal year and then the Board adopts the budget in June of each year.  It is always nice to get the budget adopted and enter into a new fiscal year.  The budget numbers for last fiscal year won’t be final for a few more weeks, but the County will finish in a strong financial position, which is a credit to the conservative fiscal policy of the Board of Commissioners and the diligent work of department heads to live within their resources.  As the new year has begun we have a lot of work to do.  I like the slogan of Jekyll Island “It’s All Good” and when you live in paradise it truly is All Good.  Yes, we do have occasional problems, which I refer to as opportunities, but with a positive spirit and a team effort those problems truly become great opportunities.

I look forward to continuing to update the BLOG with what I hope are items of interest about Glynn County.  My door is always open and I welcome input from others so feel free to call me or send me an e-mail with your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment